Mini Portfolio

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Segment: Definition of Custom Window Treatments

Welcome to my new weekly segment called Definitions! Since like so many industries, Custom Window & Bed Treatment Professionals use lots of terms that make little sense to many "non" industry people. I thought that this segment might help some of my followers to understand my business a bit better and also to become better educated consumers.

So without delay let's jump into our first segment: Definition of Custom Window Treatments.

What are custom window treatments? Custom Window Treatments are defined as any window treatments/coverings that are made with specified measurements and specifically for the customer.

This includes Hard Window treatments (such as blinds and shutters) and Soft Window treatments (such as draperies & valances). I'm going to focus my discussion on Soft Window Treatments since this is what I primarily deal in.

Are there standards for professional custom treatments? Yes there are! Professional window treatments are created by a "workroom" or "fabrication studio". Here are just a few of the standards.

  • All seams should be serged and finished with an overlock stitch.
  • Patterns should be matched exactly at seams.
  • Avoid topstitching unless it is an integral part of your design.
  • Coordinate the color of the thread w/the fabric.
  • Hems should be blind stitched or hand hemmed.
  • Bottoms hems should be at least 4" to 6" and doubled.
  • Side hems should be 1" to 3" wide and double turned.
  • Trim should attached only to the face fabric - never through the lining.
  • Treatments should always be lined unless sheer or a semi-sheer look is desired.
There are numerous styles of custom window treatments and If you don't find one you like your designer/decorator or window treatment designer can assist you in creating a look that is uniquely you. I be sharing some of the different styles and types of treatments with you in the future...

Please feel free to post your comments and suggestions for my Segment next week.... (hope it wasn't to dry....LOL)

2 comments:

  1. Now what a post-love it! Wanna feature mine? They need cleaning? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks,lady! Actually I was thinking of focusing on roman shades next week in the Definitions section - so you never know, yours could be pictured ;)I'll still keep up with the personal type posts - I'm trying to get a schedule down - maybe tues & thurs - hopefully I can be consistant - just need to get the word out so I can get more followers!!!

    ReplyDelete